Successful Developments: Yours & Mine

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Everybody Dreams – But Do You Have Goals?

.
Developers:

Tonight I thought I would share with you something I posted on MySpace on May 21, 2008:

""The wish is the father of thoughts", so they say in the Netherlands!"


A woman living in the Netherlands shared those words with me over an Internet chess game the other day. Nice woman.

I met her after she accepted my challenge to play her a game of chess. I've met many people who share my love of chess. The internet allows me to play them no matter where they live in the world.

She and I had been discussing my desire to return to Enewetak Atoll to vacation with my wife. Ever since I left the atoll in 1980, I've wanted to visit it again.

But truthfully, I never considered it a goal.

Until that conversation… over a chess game… with a woman on the other side of the world…that thought was just a dream. It was something nice to dream about.

I am currently considering it as a goal. But I'm not sure about the priority I should give it. Dreams have no priority… so they are rarely achieved.

Goals have priorities. Achieving your goals depend on how much you consider it to be a priority. How important do you consider your goal to be?

Are you wiling to do what it takes to achieve your goals? Do you know what it takes to achieve your goals? Again… How important do you consider your goal to be?

I have many goals. I have achieved many goals: Personal Goals – Business Goals – Social Goals. And… I have helped others achieve their goals.

One of my personal goals is to improve my chess playing skills. But, I am not willing to do what it takes to achieve success quickly.

To achieve my goal in the most efficient manner… I should read books and use computer tutoring software programs and more.

I prefer to learn by playing with higher rated chess players who can tolerate playing me with the mistakes I make. There have been several players who have suggested books and web sites to visit before I challenge them again.

However, many have commented that my ratings are too low and do not reflect my chess playing skills. I agree. I have learned much from players who have accepted my challenges and from those who have also challenged me.

Most of the people I have met at GameKnot are very nice and have improved my chess playing skills. Some enjoy chatting during our games. Some do not. I respect their choices. I enjoy every game… win or lose.

Your choice to convert your dream into a reality depends on how important your goal is to you. I play chess to challenge my mind while taking unscheduled breaks from my normal routine. I consider it a constructive way to take a break.

My normal routine revolves around and supports my other goals. Goals that are more important to me. Goals dedicated to improve my life and anyone else I may help… directly and indirectly.

You can help by sharing my articles with people you believe could benefit from the subject matter and information I share with you.

Writing these articles and sharing them with all who are interested in developing a better life for you and the world in which we live is a top priority to me.

I have much to share after living almost 50 years on this planet. And there is so much more for me to learn from you and others before my 120th birthday.

I have Dreams and I have Goals. You have Dreams and You have Goals.

Realize that dreams without priorities are unachievable goals. Their only value are the pleasant thoughts you feel when you think of them and the interesting conversations you share with others. Nothing more.

You have Ideas… convert them into Plans…then take the appropriate Action to achieve your Goals. Schedule your success by making your goals a priority on your daily work and activity schedule.

If you need help getting started, send me an email. Tell me what your goals are… what you are doing to accomplish them… and why you are not achieving your goals.

Until next time…

Girard Frank Bolton, III.
The Developer's Advocate
.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. I think a lot of people use the terms dreams and goals interchangeably and you're absolutely right in your distinction between the two. This post has motivated me to convert some of my dreams into goals.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie - Glad to have been of some help. Share this with people you know... so that it may help them as well. Then take a look at what I believe will ignite the fire within you... so you will achieve... what is important to you. TheDevelopersAdvocate: Its Not Your Fault That You Are Confused - gfb3
    p.s. - Tonight's article may be of particular interest to you as well. - Frank

    ReplyDelete

McCullough Residence designed by GFB3

GFB3 Consulting

GFB3 Twitter Message Updates

GFB3: Make Your Own Tiny URLs Here

Enter a long URL to make tiny:
Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.

GFB3 Merchant Circle